[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla grab

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla grab
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:59:55 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> However for certain types of problems, configs may be very appropriate --
>> for instance, a library of projects (e.g., a "GNU project" collection, or
>
> Yes, it's the obvious use: to describe a package made of several
> "independent" sub-packages.

Agreed. After a little more thinking, that is actually my main
motivation for using configs in my project: it will probably come in
several flavours (Scheme implementations) sharing a common core. I
think the easiest way to do this is keeping separate branches for each
flavour and provide configs to get the relevant code for a given
target implementation.

I don't see how tagged branches could be used in this case, but maybe
the future extensions that Miles mentioned could help?

>> I can't say whether it's broken, as I've never used it, but it's always
>> seemed vestigial to me -- an idea for an interface/usage-style that never
>> really got developed fully.
>
> Indeed.  And it's too bad, because it is important, if for nothing else than
> for tla's source code.

IMHO, grab is quite usable as it stands now (provided it is really not
broken). I wouldn't need further development, just the assurance that
it works and won't be dropped in the future.

Thanks Miles and Stephan for your feedback,
jao
--
I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up - they have no holidays.
-Henny Youngman, comedian, actor (1906-1998)