Re: [glob2-devel] Todo List For Beta 4

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Todo List For Beta 4
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 00:17:37 +0200

> Considering speed:
> Reusing of old information like Bradley and I have proposed might
> drastically increase the speed.

I do not see which discussion you are referring too.

The gradient algorithm only updates areas that need updating as it starts from
goal and expands.

Maybe we could add some heuristics to prune propagation but I'm far from
convinced that it will help.

> Considering effectiveness:
> I proposed a heuristic to sometimes produce shorter paths
> for "three-point"-pathfinding. We probably can do better.

There I agree, "three-point" scenarios are common.

> > although we might tweak them for 1 wide passages.
>
> Yes. We also could implement game features that prevent many 1 wide
> passages.
>
> Maybe Leo's pavements.  Or how about allowing buildings
> to be moved? Let's say globs have to bring in x times "building size" many
> "wood" and the building can shift one field, if there are no obstacles.

We should also consider that the players are responsible for their actions. We
should not remove all the possibilities of making mistakes as otherwise the
game will play alone. Strategy, complexity, and fun comes from the rules
and "limitations" of the world, such as obstacles, water, ...

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net