Re: [glob2-devel] Todo List For Beta 4

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Todo List For Beta 4
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 00:12:37 +0200

> *Tutorial, Campaigns and Scripts*
> - Add new hooks so that map scripts can respond to simple gui events (the
> tutorial will be more interactive this way)

We should do it network safe, and thus allow scripts to register listeners for
keys or gui area, and then transmitting these events through the network.

> - Add the ability to reload a special save-game with a new map script in
> campaigns (this allows the persistent building placement for tutorial for
> example)

Why loading a new map script, why not putting all the scripts into the map?

> - Add a system so that maps can come bundled with extras, specifically
> extra translations for the map script but possibly graphics or music

Agreed. The script could use translated string the same way the rest does, but
we should be able to fuse additional translation.

About bundled content, I designed glob2 virtual file system with this goal in
mind and thus it should not be too difficult to write a wrapper around zip
files.

> - Possibly add support to show Theora encoded movies before or after
> missions in a campaign

That would be great, but that would require artist to do the movies.

> *YOG In General*

I would also add: separate YOG and game binaries, and do not share code unless
it is actually used in both binaries. This would improve security.

> *GUI and Menu's
> *- Make it possible for text boxes to have a tab order, causing tab to have
> the standard functionality of changing the cursor position and enable this
> in relevant menu's

I agree, this is a good idea.

> *- Possibly recreate the standard theme of the menu's

You do not like my current theme? What would you like to see improved?

The main menu title should be improved, I only scratched a placeholder.

> - A new library needs to be used to make VOIP work on any platform,
> possibly OpenAL or port audio

Well, the problem is the audio input code. Nevertheless, only OS X needs to be
implemented yet.

> *Sound Effects
> - Implement sound effects into the mixer function, possibly implement
> SDL_mixer or another sound system

The music is already doing mixing between tracks, adding support for sound
effect should be very easy.

> - Have the unit info in units.txt to be able to set sounds to play at
> specific animation frames, coming into existence, and dieing
> - Have buildings be able to play sound effects as they are initially
> constructed, take certain amounts of damage, are destroyed, or are deleted
> - Have sound effects for the GUI events like placing a building,*

We should also take care to have coherent and non-intrusive sounds, does
anyone has any idea?

Thank you for this list, it is a good step to setup such feature lists. Have a
nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net