Re: [glob2-devel] server move to my server

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] server move to my server
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 01:43:46 +0200

Hi

Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
I think this is uselessly verbose, we should just remove google analytics.

Could you easily setup a webalizer of some sort ?

webalizer is installed. Until now I log all to one file and analyse only this. It would be virtually no work to separately log for glob2. Only thing is I don't log IPs so we would not know who visits us but see for yourself:
http://www.leowandersleb.de/static/webalizer/

I don't remember how I switched off IP logging but technically could certainly switch it on for globulation2.org _if_we_really_need_it_.

On the other hand Germany has a very strict Federal Data Protection Act that prohibits the collection of individual-related data. One case even ended with the Federal Ministry of Justice being sued for logging the visitors IPs.

I know it is common practise in Germany, too to log IPs, still courts discuss if the IP is private data and thus protected by Federal law.

I'm not afraid of that law but rather want it to be enforced.

Now that Stephane has spoken up against GA and Kieran being totally pro GA who else votes pro or against GA? Why exactly do we need to expose to Google who is surfing our page?? What on earth would it be necessary for?

Greetings,

Leo Wandersleb