Re: [glob2-devel] Start Beta 2 Release Candidate phase?

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Start Beta 2 Release Candidate phase?
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:49:09 -0500

On Feb 17, 2008 5:54 AM, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
Beta 2 is a good idea. How long do you thing the release candidate should
last. Next week-end, I give a presentation about glob2 at fosdem. It might
attract developers and players.

> In light of the recent improvements to glob2 networking, I think that we
> should enter release candidate stage, so we can squeeze out any remaining
> crashes and bugs, release Beta 2, and then start doing new features for
> Beta 3. There are several inconsistent bugs plaguing me at the moment, as
> well as coding the GUI to be more responsive.
+
What do you mean by "coding the GUI to be more responsive" ?

Have a nice day,

Steph

Well I had originally moved all player management, like adding and removing players, from the host to the YOG server in order to increase stability. This caused anytime the host did something like kick, add an AI, etc... it wouldn't show up instantly, because the server would have to acknowledge it. I've fixed that by moving player management to be done by all players and the server, who all maintain separate, but synced lists of which people and AI's are in the game.

There is one, rare flaw that I know of. Say the host requests to add an AI. At that exact time on the server, someone just joined the game. The host adds the AI on its local list as player 1, and later receives the message to add the playhuman as 2. However, the server (and all of the other players) would receive the messages in reverse order, human player as 1, and later AI player as 2.

The game manually resynchronizes with the host when a game start is requested, so no crashes will occur, just the players might show up on different teams then they thought. I'm working on a fix for this while maintaining a fast gui, but its a non-fatal bug, so it might not be done for this release.

Otherwise, we've pretty much sorted out the vast majority of the bugs in the networking system. I just finished sorting out all of the LAN bugs. I've also added a new feature where, in a networked game, when you click to place a building, a 'ghost' image of that building will show up until the actual OrderCreate is executed. This can help in high-latency environments, so that players get better feedback from the system, even with as high as 2 seconds allocated for latency.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.