OSA (was: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?)

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: OSA (was: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:04:23 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

I saw John Terpstra was involved; as far as I know (which really isn't much and may be wrong) his current agenda is fairly aligned with Sun's.

Based on my recent conversations with him, I don't think this is the
case, but maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. Certainly, OSC's
briefings at the moment are revolving around open standards and John is
crucial to getting over what that really means: in particular, that
software patents pose a particular problem to open standards.
I'm not sure I know what I mean either! The comment was based on the observations that:
- Sun is a sponsor of the Open Standards Alliance
- IBM is not a sponsor of the Open Standards Alliance
- I have seen John criticize IBM' s position on open standards (for not emphasizing sublicensing) - I trust Sun's involvement with open standards as far as I could throw them (actually, I don't trust IBM's motives either but Sun seems to have a more immediate interest in manipulating things because of the whole Java issue) - The OSA is very clearly, both in documentation and in the background of the people involved (at least the ones I know of, with the partial exception of Bruce Perens) on the 'open source' rather than the 'free software' side

but I really don't know what's going on here; on the one hand, maybe this is effectively rumour-mongering on my part and I should shut up (I'm certainly not accusing anyone, John Terpstra in particular, of doing anything underhand, just suggesting that the issues may be more complex than they appear); on the other hand, I do think the involvement of very big companies is something that should be talked about, because it's so easy for them to apply pressure on the direction things go. If the OSA's main purpose is to stop software patents, all power to them. That isn't how their web site reads, though.

Graham