Re: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:33:10 +0000

On 2004-11-29 23:32:30 +0000 Graham Seaman <address@hidden> wrote:

On the other hand I just clickede that Turo technology is in there - maybe MJ is the power behind the throne ;-)

Actually, the turuloj wanted more information about the project and haven't sent in any paperwork as far as I know. I think we wanted to know who the other partners would be, what our liability would be and how direction would be decided. We got an answer on the direction when they announced an executive board including some people we usually disagree with. The list of members on the web site is interesting, but we wonder how many are really members.

We've not heard anything about OSC for a while, but aren't particularly concerned about getting ourselves out of or into it. Turo Technology is definitely not an active member at present. The text on our entry is a reworded rip from our web site (for we do not talk about "Open Source"). We're doing very nicely thank you from local public-sector projects and aren't worried about London-based national bids just now.

It is quite interesting to hear opinions about other people involved in the consortium, though. I'm surprised that the web site hasn't been criticised more strongly here for statements like "With Open Source software there are no licences to track" which really don't help understanding of free software at all. Even though I disagree with some of it, I'm surprised they didn't look to somewhere like OSS-Watch for quality-controlled text.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
 Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/