Re: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] osc? who?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:43:20 +0000

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 23:32 +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:
> >There isn't really any overlap with the AFFS; the OSC is a group of
> >companies who've agreed to attempt to collectively tender for large
> >public contracts.
>
> I meant in terms of people - surely some of those 60 companies are also
> members of the AFFS (if not, why not?).

I can guarantee none of the companies are AFFS members - we've often
talked about a corporate membership, but never actually done it ;) On
the other hand, of course, I would suspect many members are involved
with OSC (my company is in there too).

> I saw John Terpstra was involved; as far as I
> know (which really isn't much and may be wrong) his current agenda is
> fairly aligned with Sun's.

Based on my recent conversations with him, I don't think this is the
case, but maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. Certainly, OSC's
briefings at the moment are revolving around open standards and John is
crucial to getting over what that really means: in particular, that
software patents pose a particular problem to open standards.

> Amusingly with all the standards stuff on the site, a lot seems to be
> cut-and-pasted - check the meta copyright tag :-)

That doesn't totally surprise me :) The raison d'etre of the org. is not
to set up a new quality standard :o)

Cheers,

Alex.