Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:22:55 +0000

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 09:09, ian wrote:
> Isn't this unfair discrimination against FLOSS? They specify that MacOS
> X 10.2 or later is acceptable so how come GNU/Linux isn't?

Definitely discrimintation.

> Also they say an office suite with WP, SS and presentation and that
> shareware, freeware is unacceptable. Same for E-mail. Does this include
> FLOSS? ie is OpenOffice.org not allowed?

I would personally say it doesn't include OOo, or free software, since
it's not shareware or freeware. However, I would bet they would say it
does. Explicit guidelines would be useful to include free software.

> I will be writing on behalf of the OpenOffice.org community and again
> paper letters on behalf of organisations such as GNU, AFFS, Schoolforge
> etc are likely to be taken more seriously than an E-mail from an
> individual.

I think we (AFFS) probably ought to write a letter. If you're writing
already, it would be better we get our puppet^Wchairman to "write" it :)

Are there examples we can use of people (esp. teachers) using free
software? Also, I remember reading something about Bill G funding
laptops or something - that's nothing to do with this, is it?

Cheers,

Alex.