Re: [Fsfe-uk] Use of OSFS for teaching (was BECTA discriminate against F

From: Corrado Topi
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Use of OSFS for teaching (was BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:37:22 +0000

On Thursday 18 December 2003 09:26, Phil Driscoll wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2003 09:22, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > Are there examples we can use of people (esp. teachers) using free
> > software?

I use OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 on Suse 8.2 and Mandrake 9.1 for
preparing lectures (System Strategy, Modelling Of Information Systems,
Information Modelling And Development, Distributed Programming) and for
producing research material.

The other coordiantor of the research group uses OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 on
RedHat 9.0/Fedora and Mandrake 9.2 also for teaching purposes.

I use Bluefish and Quanta for managing the website of our research group,
which is hosted on Apache.

My students on Distributed Programming use SuSE 8.2 for their tutorial on
distributed programming and security (8 students). We have a laboratory with
some 10 machines with the operative system on.

4 of my students are working on OS issues for their dissertation (Mandrake 9.2
for a project on grid computing (2 students), Mandrake 9.2 for a project on
E-Marketing for no-profit (1 student), 1 student on theoretical issues).

Students of a colleague use SuSE 8.2 for a course on Fundamentals Of
Information Systems ( am not sure about the number of students).

Just my 2£
--
Corrado Topi
-.-
E-Commerce Pathway Leader
Coordinator of the OSRG research group
- . -
e-mail: address@hidden
tel (direct): (+44) (0) 1484 47 3700
fax: (+ 44) (0) 1484 42 1106
ICQ#: 285296914
-.-
Room CW 2.15b
School of Computing and Engineering (Canalside West)
University Of Huddersfield
Huddersfield,
HD1 3DH,  West Yorkshire
UK