[Fsfe-uk] Patented videoshop opens in Wales

From: James Heald
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Patented videoshop opens in Wales
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 15:22:49 +0000

Fwd from  fsfe-uk

Crossposting to try to keep all 3 lists in touch.

Kevin Donnely (kevin at dotmon.com) writes:

I have put up a tidied-up version of the translation at http://www.dotmon.com. There is also a download link for the materials used on the page, in case anyone wants to make further changes.

The screenshot is not ideal, and I may redo it (and also the page in Welsh) if I have time.

Is it worth trying to contact people like the Small Business Federation locally to bring their attention to this?

I do have to say that I see some difficulty with 3 of the items mentioned: I think the response of most people to patents on gifs, mp3s and mpeg4s will be "somebody did some work to create these, and you're using them, so it's reasonable to pay". In my view, these are of a different character to things like tabbed browsing, or paying by credit card over the internet, or a shopping trolley, all of which are analogues of real-world things. I recognise the issues with the compression technology (significantly, in at least two cases (png and ogg) there are free alternatives) - it's just that I think there would be a better response if we focus on the really loony ones.