Re: [Fsfe-uk] Launch Press Release (Draft)

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Launch Press Release (Draft)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:30:24 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

> PRESS RELEASE - Draft.  Embargoed indefinitely.  Do not print, ever.  ;-)
>
> Independent UK Association For Free Software (AFFS) Formed
>
> The Association For Free Software is pleased to announce its formation on 21
> February at a GNU/Linux event in Sheffield hosted by Business Link South
> Yorkshire.  Free Software, such as GNU/Linux, is software which

gives the freedom to?
"allows" is fine, but something needs to be added (for emphasis?)

> allows the
> user to run, study, modify, redistribute, improve and release it to the
> public.  [Notes: 1, 2, 3]

such as "without restriction" at the end here, but there are copyleft
restrictions (protections).
How about:

" Independent UK 'Association For Free Software' (AFFS) Formed

The Association For Free Software is pleased to announce its formation
on 21
February at a GNU/Linux event in Sheffield hosted by Business Link South
Yorkshire.
Free software gives users freedom to run, copy, distribute, study,
change and
improve the software. These freedoms protect users from being tied to one
vendor and have lead to the growing popularity with businesses of the
GNU/Linux system."

> AFFS's starter members

founder members
^^^^^^^

> wish to invite anyone who has an interest in Free
> Software and who resides in the UK to join our association and assist the
> promotion and development of Free Software in this country.  Already, the
> group has a web site at http://www.affs.org.uk/ and is using the UK mailing
> list of the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) for co-ordination.  We
> hope that AFFS will grow in time to provide its members with the best
> possible information, representation and act as a support network for UK
> Free Software community activity.

"to provide its members with the best
possible information and representation, and to act as a support network
for UK
Free Software community activity."

> [... details of where people can see AFFS -- someone must approach
> Birmingham Linux Expo's organisers if no-one already has...]

[anyone planning LinuxDay events this year?]

> [... details of how people can join AFFS -- once the bank is ready?]
>
> NOTES TO THE EDITOR
>
> 1. AFFS, the Association For Free Software, has more material available on
> http://www.affs.org.uk/ and is available for comment on the following

[set up a /press resources section on the site for this?]

> numbers:
>    0870 ....... - Duty Officer
>    0709 ....... - MJ Ray, Luminas Ltd <address@hidden>
>    ???????????? - Anyone else?
>
> 2. GNU/Linux is an increasingly popular Free Software Operating System
> combining the GNU tools of the Free Software Foundation and the Linux kernel
> of Linus Torvalds.  For more information see http://www.gnu.org/ and
> http://www.linux.org/  Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
>
> 3. Free Software is advocated across Europe by the Free Software Foundation
> Europe.  For a fuller definition of Free Software, please see their web site
> at http://www.fsfeurope.org/

[Worth a note on how extensive the use of Free Software is (eg Samba, Apache,
Sendmail)? ]

> ENDS
>
> OK, please mangle.  If you can provide unified diffs, I will love you
> forever.

Heh, heh, from MacOS9!? Sorry, you won't love me forever ;-PP

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format