Re: AFFS Website (Was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Once more, unto the constitution, d

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: AFFS Website (Was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Once more, unto the constitution, dear friends...)
Date: 19 Feb 2002 10:44:59 +0000

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 10:29, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Text, links, what more do you want? The moon on a stick? :)
>
> Formatting.

It was meant tongue in cheek, I realise the problem ;)

> Basically, splitting content from presentation is good, you need to avoid
> splitting semantics from markup.

Actually, the semantics are there - in the div classes. What you mean is
you want the default semantic markup present so that the browser can
deduce some presentation information too :-)

The semantic information is a higher level than just 'paragraph', etc. -
'question', 'answer', etc.

Not that it is necessarily useful though...

> And my eyes ;)  Seriously, I need a new monitor, but my eyes are rather
> imperfect, so black on green is never going to have that much contrast.  I
> have similar problems with red/green, although I'm not colour-blind.

Strange. Green registers a higher response in the eye than any other
colour theoretically, so it should contrast well (in terms of pure
colours; obviously white gives even better registration). I'll default
to very light background with black text, if no-one else minds? I'm a
fan of green too, which is why I used it, if anyone has any other
preference shout...

> Oh, for sure, but if used correctly, it can blast a hole in the correct
> location.

tidy is a cool tool, this is true. A List Apart are currently extolling
its virtues in their latest issue IIRC.

Cheers,

Alex.