Re: [Fsfe-uk] Once more, unto the constitution, dear friends...

From: Alasdair G Kergon
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Once more, unto the constitution, dear friends...
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:42:50 +0000

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:58:02PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> Some quick comments based on
>     http://www.cloaked.freeserve.co.uk/affs-so.html
>     http://www.cloaked.freeserve.co.uk/affs-const.html

Hands up anyone else who's read these!

The lack of comments despite some obvious inconsistencies(*) between the
two documents makes me doubt that many people have.

These clearly aren't ready for signing as they stand, but I hope the
people who can make it to Sheffield will have time to read through
them together, line-by-line, and agree about the main corrections &
changes to make.

I'm sorry I can't make it, but I've notice one more thing:
  Are we sure we want to exclude people under 18?
  (There can be difficulties with legal responsibilty if they are
  elected onto the committee - a separate junior membership category
  might be the answer.)

Alasdair

(*) e.g. Here's (more explicitly) one of the ones I pointed out yesterday:
Constitution says:
  Any notice may be served by the Secretary on any member either
  personally or on its appointed representative as the case may be, or
  through the post in a prepaid letter addressed to such member at
  his, her or its last known address, and any letter so sent shall be
  deemed to have been received within ten days of posting.
Standing Orders say:
  Any notice served by post shall be deemed to have been received
  within three days following that on which it was posted.