Re: [Freetype] Question on Unicode characters with different TTF

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Question on Unicode characters with different TTF
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:24:40 +0200

Hi Cindy,

Na Cindy Mak va escriure:

> I would like to ask why those Chinese glyphs can be shown in Win2000
> environment with these 2 fonts?
> Do these fonts have some links to other unicode fonts or other tricks so
> that the Chinese glyphs can be shown?

Good shot!
Yes, MS has set up mechanisms for "font fallback" when a given character
(more exactly, a given script) is not representable with the normal font.
You can usualy choose the font to use, based on the script, with the Options
of Internet Explorer (don't ask me why it is there), 1st page, buttons
"Languages" (or something similar, sorry, right now I am using Spanish '98!)

The fact that a given font can or ot represent a given script is set up
via some bits in the 'OS/2' table, ulUnicodeRange1-4 bit fields. This
should help you to find more information.

Antoine