Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:29:31 +0400

On Monday 05 August 2002 11:55 pm, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
|  At 2:09 PM +0400 8/3/02, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  >I have heard that about half (50%) of Adobe revenues is based on font
|  >licenses. That's more than $500 mln. USD per year.
|
|       I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true.

Business press, 2 or 3 years ago.

|       However, Adobe does make a LOT of money on fonts ;).

So, you think my figure is *underestimated*?  :-)

BTW: even $100 mln. of revenues on fonts is *huge*.
Profit margin is about 90%, so $100 mln. on such sales (high-margin fonts) is
close to revenues of $450 mln. USD for a typical hardware company (margin
just 20%)
Only pharmaceutical companies enjoy such high margins (except Adobe, MS and
some other major software companies - in IT industry)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)