Re: [ft-devel] Arial/Times ldot hinting

From: Nigel Tao
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Arial/Times ldot hinting
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 16:06:30 +1100

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 13-12-05 05:53 PM, Nigel Tao wrote:
>> I'm working on a Freetype port to the Go programming language.
>
> I'm curious.  Why?

Mostly because Go is my favorite programming language, and the process
of porting is very educational in understanding how fonts, hinting and
rasterization actually work, at the data structure / file format /
algorithm level.

Partly because Go is a memory-safe programming language (garbage
collected, no pointer arithmetic, array access is bounds-checked,
etc.), and so untrusted Go code (and untrusted fonts) are free to run
on platforms such as Google's App Engine where untrusted C code is
not.