Re: [ft-devel] TR: Error Rendering with a resolution?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] TR: Error Rendering with a resolution?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:18:50 +0100 (CET)

> Could you explain the difference between AUTO-HINT and FONT_HINT?

I suppose you mean auto-hinting and native hinting, right?

> Does AutoHint mode also use hints of internal fonts (CID improving
> them), or does this mode creates its own hints?

The auto-hinter ignores all hints in the font, creating new ones at
run-time.

> Could you tell me what is the function that calculates the hints?
> It does not seem to be in the function: Render_Glyph (RAS_ARG) in
> the file: ftraster.c.

As the name implies, the `raster' modules rasterizes a font (B/W).

The PostScript hinter module, `pshinter', is used for native CFF
hinting.  It's more than a single function.

The auto-hinter is in the `autofit' module.