freesci-develop

RE: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI config/savegame dir change on Win32?

From: Alex Angas
Subject: RE: [freesci-develop] FreeSCI config/savegame dir change on Win32?
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:13:33 -0000

Hi Lars,

There are two aspects to this: Microsoft's support of Windows versions, and
Microsoft's support of MSVC++ which targets compiled executables for
different Windows versions.

If we follow Microsoft's support lifecycle then we should forget about
targeting for Windows 95, 98 and ME as they are no longer MS supported. I
think it's still worth targeting Win98 for now as it is still out there to
some extent and Win98 Second Edition was reasonable for a Windows OS.
Unfortunately that also means supporting WinME which was released after it,
and by most accounts was crap.

In terms of versions of MSVC++, if we want to target Win98 then we still
need to retain project files for MSVC++ 2003 as that was the last version
that would build executables that can run on Win98. We don't need MSVC++ 6
project files anymore though as I don't think we should care about going
back as far as Win95. (FWIW, MS still support MSVC++ 2003 and 2002 but not
6. We never did proper project files for 2002.)

I hope that's not too confusing...

Alex.