Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse comments?

From: Brad Collins
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: muse comments?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:50:31 +0700

"vrtprj.com" <address@hidden> writes:

> Concerning the author/header: is it planned to add more detail there
> in future versions, or should everybody find custom solutions? I'm
> asking because I would need some more tags from the DocBook
> <articleinfo> section...

Lists don't work either in docbook very well.  I got some of them
working but have had no luck with definition lists.

I've already worked on porting the docbook converter to tei.  But
docbook and tei open a whole can of worms....  (I'll be happy to send
them to the list but they are very crude at the moment).

For instance, in tei, you have the option of marking speech which is
usually written, (with apologies to Sacha):

  "Filipinos are a warm, gentle, caring, giving people," Avi says,
  "which is a good thing since so many of them carry concealed
  weapons." [1]

and in tei:

  says, <q>which is a good thing since so many of them carry concealed
  weapons.</q></p>

I've gotten it to mostly work (though it seems to screw up opening <p>
tags) and gotten lists to work a bit better but in the end I realised
that docbook and tei are both monster tag sets which are beyond the
scope of wiki-markup as a whole, but, with a bit of tweaking we could
create a page, by page approach to dealing with different tags.

If we could add, in a local variables section at the bottom of a page,
(or as # tags at the beginning, like #title and #style in emacs-wiki)
a tag mapping for say two additional wiki-tags; say `@' and `+' which
could be mapped to tags in local variables in a page we would have a
very flexible and poweful means of marking up a very large amount of
texts into anything you could imagine.

So:

  @   <rs type="title">
  @@  <rs type="person">
  @@@ <rs type="place">

or in another page

  @   <orth>
  @@  <def>
  @@@ <pron>

What do you think?

BTW: I would love to see #style working in muse

b/

Footnotes:

[1] from _Cryptonomicon_ by Neal Stephenson.  I might add that many
years ago I was stuck in Manila airport in transit to Bangkok and was
sitting, half dead, next to a Filipino Priest watching a video on how
the best switch-blades were made with pride in some odd corner of the
country.  The Priest beamed at me, leaned closer said, they really are
good knives, I have a few myself... :)

--
Brad Collins
Chenla Labs