Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:05:05 +0100

Jody Klymak wrote:
| Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:
|> Jody Klymak <address@hidden> writes:
|>>In that case there would need to be a way of specifying the
|>>hierarchy on the pages. Or in a lookup table somewhere. Using Gary's
|>>method the hierarchy is specified with subdirectories, which is kind
|>>of nice.
|>
|>#parent directives? We'll need to scan the files, so this is a
|>performance hit similar to including titles in the index... (a bit
|>more, actually, as we'd also have to come up with the tree).
|>
|>#path directives? Refer to a page as FooBar, but have inside it a path
|>foo/FooBar directive?
|
| Sure.  Or maybe #topic, or #index would be more natural sounding?
| i.e. you can imagine lots of uses that have nothing to do with a
| "path".
|
| #topic: programing/emacs/planner
| #topic: work/productivity
|
| You could imagine an index like Gary's sidebar arising out of this.
| You could cross-reference an "note" to more than one topic, which
| some people seem to want.
|
| However, I'm curious what the advantage of a flat directory structure
| is?  It seems easier to deal with a nested structure then to implement
| the ideas above.

The advantage of a flat structure is that the file system will enforce unique
page names.

The advantage of my patch is that the file system will manage the heirarchy.

However, I think that it will be easier to write the elisp to check for
duplicate names as the tree is scanned for pages, than to write the elisp
to process /#(pa(th|rent)|topic)/ directives in each page.  I do like the
idea of multiple topics per page, but Blosxom (which is serving the blog/
pages from my site) doesn't support that :-(

| Not that I'm really pushing hard for this.  I'm very happy with
| planner as-is!  You have done a great job.

Seconded.  I'm scratching my own itch here, I'll just send a heads up to
the list whenever I've produced something I think you might find useful.
If some of it gets merged into Sacha's tree, thats great, but anyone who
wants to play with the stuff that isn't merged can `tla replay' changesets
from my tree :-)

Cheers,
        Gary.
- --