Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-diary.el

From: Jody Klymak
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-diary.el
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:05:23 -0800

Hi Sacha,

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> #B0 > Find a way to interactively add items to the diary from
> [[erc://zelazny.freenode.net/Nafai/#emacs][Chat with Nafai on
> zelazny.freenode.net#emacs]] {{Tasks:677}}

I thought about this a little and decided that diary was the "best"
way.  Editing and parsing all the plan files to come up with an
up-to-date diary seems painful and fragile.  Whereas having
planner-diary burp up a list of today's going's on (or I have it set
for a week) is nice and elegant.  "M-x calendar, i d" is not terribly
onerous.

On the other hand, I wanted to have a remember (-buffer-to-planner)
-like interface to the diary so I swiped the code and made
jmk-dairy-link-from-buffer.  I bind this to C-x C-d and get diary
entries like:

Feb 25 2004 1300 MS defence 100 Vaughn hall
[[gnus://nnimap+opg1.ucsd.edu:~/mail/Inbox.spam/<address@hidden>][E-Mail from
Dawn Huffman]]

These look a little grody in the diary, but come out looking quite
nice in planner-diary's output.  The function is:

(defun jmk-diary-link-from-buffer ()
  "make a diary entry from this buffer"
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (let ((msg (or (run-hook-with-args-until-success
                  'planner-annotation-functions) "")))
      (calendar)
      (other-window 1)
      (find-file diary-file)
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (insert msg)
      (beginning-of-line))))

(define-key global-map [?\C-x ?\C-d] 'jmk-diary-link-from-buffer)

This works fine.  No date is automatically assigned, which is a bit
of a shame.  It'd be nice if the annotation was saved until a date
was chosen in the calendar, but that exceeds my lisp skills, and
didn't seem terribly urgent.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://opg1.ucsd.edu/~jklymak/