Re: tree-sitter and Android port

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: tree-sitter and Android port
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 10:27:41 +0800

Arsen Arsenović <arsen@aarsen.me> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I've added support for tree-sitter to the Android port, and ported that
>> library to our Android build system as well.
>
> Thanks, that should greatly improve the efficiency of fontification in
> due time.
>
>> However, there is one problem.  Android does not let Emacs link with any
>> shared libraries or run any executables installed in non-system
>> directories, meaning that compiled grammars cannot be installed in a
>> useful fashion.  This is done for security reasons, as apparently many
>> Android programs have been tricked into executing malicious downloaded
>> code in the past.
>
> Based on my prior experience with Termux, I suspect that the Emacs home
> directory should work.  Termux is able to both build and launch programs
> in that directory, and I suspect also dlopen () libraries, though I have
> not tried that.

Termux has taken the approach of targeting an older version of Android
without these restrictions, meaning that it will no longer install on
some soon-to-be future version of Android; Android 14 will no longer
allow installing applications targeting Android 5.1 or later, and they
plan to ``progressively ramp up'' the target version requirement.

> P.S: I noticed that the Termux wiki lists some file managers that
> integrate with SAF, and hence, should be able to access the home
> directory on devices with poor built-in file managers:
> https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Internal_and_external_storage
>
> While the manual should probably skirt from naming specific file
> managers, it could be good to name what a file manager needs to be able
> to access the Emacs home directory (namely, SAF support).

If they are free software, I don't see a problem with listing them in
the manual.