Re: tree-sitter and Android port

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: tree-sitter and Android port
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:38:49 +0100

Hi,

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've added support for tree-sitter to the Android port, and ported that
> library to our Android build system as well.

Thanks, that should greatly improve the efficiency of fontification in
due time.

> However, there is one problem.  Android does not let Emacs link with any
> shared libraries or run any executables installed in non-system
> directories, meaning that compiled grammars cannot be installed in a
> useful fashion.  This is done for security reasons, as apparently many
> Android programs have been tricked into executing malicious downloaded
> code in the past.

Based on my prior experience with Termux, I suspect that the Emacs home
directory should work.  Termux is able to both build and launch programs
in that directory, and I suspect also dlopen () libraries, though I have
not tried that.

> Would one of you two (Yuan Fu or Theodor) please ask the tree-sitter
> developers if there is a way to solve this problem (i.e. by having
> tree-sitter provide a way to ``interpret'' uncompiled grammar files.)
>
> Thanks in advance.

P.S: I noticed that the Termux wiki lists some file managers that
integrate with SAF, and hence, should be able to access the home
directory on devices with poor built-in file managers:
https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Internal_and_external_storage

While the manual should probably skirt from naming specific file
managers, it could be good to name what a file manager needs to be able
to access the Emacs home directory (namely, SAF support).

Thanks in advance.
--
Arsen Arsenović