Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 08:55:02 +0100

Message: 14
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:05:34 -0800
From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>, Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>, Stefan
        Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, Lars Ingebrigtsen
        <larsi@gnus.org>, Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>, Jostein
        Kjønigsen <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:05:34 Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2023, at 11:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 20:31:46 +0000
>> Cc: juri@linkov.net, casouri@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>>  larsi@gnus.org, theo@thornhill.no, jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net,
>>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>>
>> But you've got to allow me to have mixed feelings when the project I've
>> put so much into over ~20 years is facing redundancy.
>>
>> It isn't facing redundancy, it's nowhere near that.  You don't need to
>> worry about that.  I expect a significant proportion of users to wish
>> to stay with CC Mode, for several good reasons:
>>
>> . the use cases it handles better that c-ts-mode (cpp stuff etc.)
>> . the plethora of minor conveniences it offers that c-ts-mode
>>   doesn't, at least not yet, such as much more elaborate
>>   customizations of indentation and electric behavior
>>
>> I'm not even sure yet whether I myself will switch.  I will give the
>> c-ts-mode a lot of leeway and credit, but I don't know yet what will
>> be the outcome.

>+1. It’ll be a long way until c-ts-mode can be comparable to c-mode.

>Yuan

+1 here too. With some additional comments. If memory serves, Eli asked for "user" feedback. Here you are ;-)

I'm using Emacs on different Linuxes, macOS and Windows. With the exception of Windows, I'm on master for my day-to-day work, which gives credit to the work behind it :-)

I use it for programming (mainly shell, Python and YAML, including eglot for Python and the 2-3 golang lines I write) both locally and remotely (that implies TRAMP), documenting and producing slides (LaTEX and org-mode). On top of that, I have company-mode activated.

On Linux, I have native-compilation, but not on macOS; probably because I didn't have the time when I started using it. Now, because in my setup I scarcely notice the difference, I have lost interest and I'm even thinking of reverting and disabling native-compilation... I'll tell you in a couple of months...

Now, have I tried tree-sitter? Yes... I got it running on Linux. But the fuzz was not worth the gain. I saw from second one what yansippets, tramp, eglot (you name it) was offering and I decided to go for it (BTW, I'm so happy that eglot is is part of Emacs now). I don't see it in tree-sitter.

so, I know this is not exactly FOSS compliant, but it is part of the experience that may shy away users outside FOSS operating systems:

In non-free operating systems, it is getting more difficult to get compiled third-party libraries downloaded and running. So, I don't anticipate it will easy with the tree-sitter DLLs or DYLIBs if you get them from the outside world. This means that you will need to compile them on your system to work with them. And that will be yet another argument for sys-admins to ban Emacs from the "professional" programming environment. And I think that's really sad...

My .2 cents, /PA

PS: I'd rather see yasnippets moving into Emacs... IMvHO that's part of a *nice* user-experience that makes Emacs appealing :-)
--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet