Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:04:57 +0200

> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:56:51 +0200
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, acm@muc.de, juri@linkov.net, casouri@gmail.com,
>  larsi@gnus.org, theo@thornhill.no, jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>
> I just don't understand what's your plan here regarding Emacs 29. What's
> going to happen next? What kind of feedback will you be looking for?

Whatever feedback we will get.  I don't know what we will hear, and
I'm not sure why I should try guessing.

> What I think will happen, is people will try out the new modes, some
> will suffer the inconveniences we warned about here and possibly think
> less of Emacs as a result; others will avoid those problems by accident;
> yet a lot more users will never try these new modes and thus avoid the
> problems as well.
>
> If we're lucky, we get a couple of new bug reports associated with it,
> maybe 1-6 months after the release: a lot of users don't report
> problems, much less these less obvious ones, where the behavior doesn't
> end up in a "error" written somewhere. The reports will likely repeat
> some of what's already been said.

Something like that, yes.  Except that the 6-month figurer could be
better (or worse), and some of the reports might actually tell us
something that wasn't yet said or proposed.

> At what point does this turn into some kind of conclusion, and a
> teaching moment, so to speak?

It depends on what we hear.  It is quite possible that a single report
will show the light.  Or a significant number of reports expressing a
particular opinion will change the weight of that opinion.  Or
something else.  (Or I step down, or am overrun by a bus.)