Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:22:58 +0800

(I copied the list back in since this is quite relevant to the thread.)

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> I understand there is an issue of a possible language barrier, but
> isn't that something you could have found out in ten seconds by trying
> it out? (require 'c-ts-mode) alters auto-mode-alist.

But then it could've been a bug, not intentional behavior.

> And about a month ago you called this "a very reasonable arrangement":
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-01/msg00267.html
>
> Here's a couple of quotes from the message you responded to:
>
>> The proposed change to the current emacs-29 branch is below.  You will
>> see that where possible, just loading a TS mode modifies
>> auto-mode-alist if the tree-sitter support for that mode is available,
>> whereas for other modes auto-mode-alist is modified only when the mode
>> is actually turned on successfully for the first time.

>> Modes that have
>> their own *.el files can be just 'require'd in the init file to modify
>> auto-mode-alist.

At that time I thought in both paragraphs the `require' and ``loading''
parts referred to enabling the major mode itself, since there is no
other reasonable behavior.

I didn't even bother to ask about what I thought was a typo, since I
wasn't expecting anyone to come up with any other behavior.