Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 13:54:43 +0000

Hello, Po.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 21:37:59 +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

[ .... ]

> Let me ask what I asked earlier, again?
> Does c-ts-mode make itself default upon being loaded, or does it make
> itself the default upon being first enabled?

It makes itself default upon loading, even if that loading is only in
response to C-h C-f c-ts-mode.

> The former has been a Bad Thing for as long as I can remember.

Indeed.

> The latter is not particularly problematic as long as we document the
> caveat.

I don't quite agree.  An Emacs user should retain full control over her
Emacs session.  Silently changing the entries in auto-mode-alist removes
that control and causes confusion.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).