Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 10:05:00 -0500

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023, 4:54 AM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 4:31 AM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2023, 7:43 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> > From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
>> > Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:26:07 -0500
>> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> > Whether libraries expected to be redumpable are in fact redumpable.
>>
>> That's the goal, not the actual testing algorithm.  I asked about the
>> latter.  How do you intend to test that a dump succeeded (assuming
>> there's no crash)?
>

> The dump will have to be performed in a separate emacs process. The easiest criteria to judge is whether the dump file exists and is greater than 0 bytes.  Emacs appears to create a 0 byte file when dump-emacs-portable is invoked, which is just not updated if the dump terminates unsuccessfully.
> A second criteria is then to invoke emacs with the dump-file and evaluate some simple _expression_ to verify no unexpected  errors were encountered on load.
> I've started automating my process with some simple shell scripting tracked at https://github.com/owinebar/emacs-redumping.  It's not much yet, but at least I was able to align my efforts between 28.2 and 30.0.50.  The next step will be to create a proper load-time dependency graph, so I can automate the calculation of the minimal list of features that need to be provided so that the maximum number of libraries can be loaded for the dump, with the artificially provided features loaded on an after-init hook (because before-init happens prior to the X frame initialization).
> Once these dependencies are identified and lists are calculated, then creating a set of canned tests should be straightforward.  Some makefile-based approach should be adequate for determining which parts of the dependency graph need to be recalculated after an update.
> I want to calculate these dependencies (and compile-time dependencies) to construct a more robust native-compilation build process anyway.
> For a regression test, I would want to record the results from 28.2 as a basis for measuring 29 and 30, at least as a starting point.   In any case, I never see an "abort signal" termination in 28, or even a "weird pseudovector" message.  It's either something incompatible (because I blindly attempted to load the world) as in the "term" subdirectory or dos/w32 libraries under linux, or some redefinition of a character table (which is why I calculate the files loaded in the baseline dump and exclude them).  I got some very lengthy error messages printing out explicit objects from some obsolete libraries, so I exclude them as well.
> And viper demands user input at startup when it's loaded, so it has to be excluded from dumping.  There might be some variable to turn off that annoying behavior, I'm just not interested in investigating.
>
>> > Almost every library in 28.2 could be redumped, excepting those which
>> > simply failed to load for whatever reason.
>>
>> Don't we have Lisp objects that cannot be dumped?  If we do, then not
> [...]

Just to finish this thought - dumping the full set of libraries,
excluding a few expected to fail, should be the "normal" test.  If
24-34 seconds is too long, there are probably other large subsets that
provide substantial coverage in less time. The more comprehensive
file-by-file approach should be reserved for tracking down the cause
of failures in the normal test.  Theoretically, pdumper might be able
to indicate the source library(ies) associated with particular error,
but the file-by-file approach is always available.

I do see something in the redumped emacs that seems like a bug to me.  The process I use for creating the dump uses the -Q flag.  But some of the settings I see in "emacs -Q --dump-file ..." are not the ones I see with just "emacs -Q".  Some are pretty basic - menu-bar-mode, tool-bar-mode, global-font-lock-mode, transient-mark-mode are all nil in the redumped process but not the baseline.  I should check if that happens even when the only _expression_ evaluated is the call to dump-emacs-portable, with nothing additional loaded.
A general test would be load the additional files to be dumped, write out all the symbol properties, variable values, and function values, then load the dump file and compare everything with equal, including the set of symbols, variables and functions defined.
Is it fair to say that is the correct expectation of the dumping procedure?