Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:42:53 +0200

> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:26:07 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 9:23 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > What do these tests actually test?
>
> Whether libraries expected to be redumpable are in fact redumpable.

That's the goal, not the actual testing algorithm.  I asked about the
latter.  How do you intend to test that a dump succeeded (assuming
there's no crash)?

> Almost every library in 28.2 could be redumped, excepting those which
> simply failed to load for whatever reason.

Don't we have Lisp objects that cannot be dumped?  If we do, then not
every library could be dumped even in principle.

Another potential issue with this is (assuming you suggest to actually
try dumping every library) that it will take too long, and thus will
be likely to be skipped in any "normal" run of the test suite, thus
missing the point.