Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:13:22 -0500

On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 7:51 PM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:
> the after-init-hook.  The same issues arose with 29.0.60, but the
> fixes for 30.0.50 did not work for that build.
After more carefully following the script I used in generating the
maximal redump of core emacs libraries for 28.2, I now have a redump
script that works for both 29.0.60 and 30.0.50, although I still have
no idea why the particular libraries (that dump without issue in 28.2)
cause failure in the later two versions.
I did notice that the dump file for 28.2 is 135M, and the dump file
for 30.0.50 and 29.0.60 is only 75M.  (!)  When I exclude the same
additional libraries from the 28.2 dump, the dump file is still 133M,
so the additional exclusions are not enough to explain the size
difference.
I also looked for tests of dump-emacs-portable in the test/
subdirectory, and grep reported nothing.  I can translate my shell
script into elisp to run under ERT, and add testing for each of the
libraries expected to be dumpable (in the sense of not requiring code
evaluated on load that needs to be delayed until run-time)
individually.  How do I submit that?  Are there any restrictions I
should observe?  I have a list of libraries I exclude due to platform
incompatibility with linux (ones with w32 and dos in the names), but I
don't have anything for other platforms.

Lynn