Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Regression in dump-emacs-portable
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 21:41:15 -0500

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 9:21 AM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2023, 2:07 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> > I'll take a shot at a more thorough rewrite of the customization
>> > system to properly support redumping this weekend and send another
>> > patch.
>>
>> I'm not sure this is the tree we should be barking up.  The problem is
>> more general than just delayed-initialization of some defcustoms.
>

> I wrote about 95% of this over the weekend, most of which is the efficient
> solver for dependency ordering of the customization variables set at startup.
>  I'll finish it up in the next couple of evenings and post the patch in a bug
> report/feature request.
>
> My immediate concern is being able to use the current re-dumping facility
> more effectively.

I've posted a patch at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=61721   It's true there
are not a lot of these customizations in the baseline dump, but there
are many more when additional libraries are redumped.

However, the problem with dumping overlays is very troublesome for
creating comprehensive redumps.