Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 13:58:25 +0200

On 16/02/2023 10:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I don't know yet.  We should definitely think about this more.  Emacs
never had more than a single major mode per programming language, so
for us "language" and "major mode" were always synonyms.  (Perl mode
and CPerl mode is the only exception I know of, and it did cause us
grief.)

So yes, this is a new situation that could call for some new concepts
in Emacs.

The relevant helps could make use of major-mode-remap-alist somehow. According to NEWS, it was introduced more or less for this purpose.