Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 21:56:30 -0500

Lynn Winebarger [2023-02-15 18:48:50] wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 2:27 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> wrote:
>> We should never recommend (require <foo>) as a way to change Emacs's
>> behavior, since it directly conflicts with our convention that loading
>> a file should not significantly alter Emacs's behavior.
>
> As someone who preloads the (elisp) world, I'd love to see this maxim
> enshrined somewhere.

It's in doc/lispref/tips.texi:

    @section Emacs Lisp Coding Conventions

    @cindex coding conventions in Emacs Lisp
      Here are conventions that you should follow when writing Emacs Lisp
    code intended for widespread use:

    @itemize @bullet
    @item
    Simply loading a package should not change Emacs's editing behavior.
    Include a command or commands to enable and disable the feature,
    or to invoke it.

    This convention is mandatory for any file that includes custom
    definitions.  If fixing such a file to follow this convention requires
    an incompatible change, go ahead and make the incompatible change;
    don't postpone it.

-- Stefan