Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 10:30:25 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 10:26:00 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 06:45:13 +0100
> > From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>

> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 10:06:35PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > > Well, I do.  And I explained this several times already in the past,

> > I don't understand that. To me it feels like pushing people to bump
> > into ts-modes whether they want or not.

> These modes are completely optional, turned off by default.  Users
> need to turn them on, in one of the described ways, for them to take
> any effect.  None of the described ways of turning on the modes
> happens automatically.  I'm bewildered how this can be regarded as
> "pushing people to bump into" these modes.  Are you sure we are
> talking about the same editor?

I'm a little surprised that you don't appreciate how other people (such
as me) work, and that you seem to regard restarting Emacs as a perfectly
acceptable way of reversing M-x c-ts-mode.

(Some) users will not be satisfied with a single switch to c-ts-mode,
they will want to move backwards and forwards to and from CC Mode IN THE
SAME EMACS SESSION, and will resent continually having to restart Emacs
to do so.

This "moving backwards and forward" is asymmetric.  It is far, far
easier to switch into c-ts-mode than switch out of it, and I feel this
is not right.  It is why I proposed c-make-ts-undefault-mode.

Also, restarting Emacs will NOT restore auto-mode-alist, unless the user
doesn't use desktop, or somehow knows (how?) he must clear his desktop
of c-ts-mode buffers before restarting.  I foresee much wasted time and
frustration resulting from this.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).