Re: Some performance questions.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some performance questions.
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 08:17:37 +0200

> Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 21:56:31 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Thanks for replying. Is the GC also improved by tree-sitter? Because it is
> taking a significant  part of the
> time, as you can see in my first mail.

Tree-sitter based modes do less processing in Lisp (the buffer parsing
is doen by the tree-sitter and the grammar libraries, entirely in C
and C++), so they should in general produce less garbage and require
less GC, yes.

Turning on jit-stealth also lowers the GC pressure because it
fontifies buffers during idle time, so by the time you get to actually
editing a buffer it is already fontified, and thus all the garbage
produced by fontifications was already produced and collected; the
editing itself will produce much less garbage.

Finally, I see that in my customizations I increase gc-cons-threshold
to 1800000 (from the default of 800000), so maybe try that as well.