Re: Some performance questions.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Some performance questions.
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 21:56:31 +0100

Hi Eli:

Thanks for replying. Is the GC also improved by tree-sitter? Because it is taking a significant  part of the time, as you can see in my first mail.

Thanks,
Ergus

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 22:09:36 +0200
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

71 45% Automatic GC
68 43% redisplay_internal
jit-lock-function
font-lock-fontify-keywords-region

37 23% c-font-lock-declarations
20 12% c-font-lock-cut-off-declarators

I have not observed such lags before on GNU/Linux, so some idea what I
may be doing wrong?

I know Eli uses MS-Windows frequently, so, any hint?

Try using c-ts-mode instead (assuming this is Emacs 29 and it was
built with tree-sitter).

And if you cannot use tree-sitter, then try this:

(setq jit-lock-stealth-time 16)
(setq jit-lock-defer-contextually t)
(setq jit-lock-stealth-load 20)