Re: Question about start-process and argument list

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Question about start-process and argument list
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2023 10:25:36 -0800

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> > compatible with any possible way to quote and parse arguments on a
>> > command line on any possible OS
>
> I do not consider above statement logically related to your statement
> below. Maybe I have taken it out of context, but I consider that above
> statement may apply to `start-process' but not to
> `start-process-shell-command' exactly to avoid problems with quoting.
>
>> Kind of sounds like I should be using `start-process-shell-command'
>> again! As I understand it, this is its main selling point.
>
> That one has problems with quoting!
>
> Use `start-process' or `call-process'

Okay I finally understood why I was confused about this. These programs
essentially don't interact with the shell at all. File globbing is
irrelevant, as is the brace notation, I think even $PWD doesn't matter.
So there's no advantage to running in a shell, and I should treat it as
much like a system call as possible.

Thanks to all for helping me get my brain on front-to-back...