Re: 29.0.60; keymap-local-set and keymap-global-set became less strict

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 29.0.60; keymap-local-set and keymap-global-set became less strict
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 08:58:19 +0200

> Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 23:56:12 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, rpluim@gmail.com, larsi@gnus.org,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Daniel Mendler <mail@daniel-mendler.de>
>
> > Emacs is not in the business of imposing The Right Way, instead we
> > prefer to encourage it while still allowing people to shoot themselves
> > in the foot in all kinds of fun ways.
>
> Tell that to Eli, who seems to be in the business of preaching The Right
> Way and also following it.

But preaching is very different from imposing.  And I think "do as I
say, not as I do" is not a great stance for us (although we sometimes
do it).

> But that's beside the point - keymap.el is a newly introduced library
> with a newly designed API. I would expect that such a library can be
> implemented according to the best practices without any kludges -
> without `call-interactively-p' and without advertised calling
> conventions. That this does not seem to be possible, leaves me
> unsatisfied. Well, it would actually be possible, we just have to do it
> differently - either allowing vectors as arguments or by using a
> different interactive form calling `keymap--read-key`. But these better
> solutions were rejected for other reasons.

We could go for a different design if we had more time.  These
functions were introduced just 2.5 months ago, and the problems with
them were only brought to our attention very recently.  We don't have
enough time to switch to using other APIs in the interactive form, as
we had bitter experience with doing that in similar cases (subtle bugs
and behavior changes that took many moons to uncover and even longer
to fix).  It's too bad no one tried these new commands earlier and
reported the problems back then, but that's water under the bridge.
So we don't have the luxury of going for the ideal design.  We must
choose one of the safe solutions that will not delay the pretest nor
endanger its quick success and the following release.  I prefer the
additional argument method, and it sounds like so does Stefan.

So, Robert, please install your last patch, and thanks.