Re: 29.0.60; keymap-local-set and keymap-global-set became less strict

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: 29.0.60; keymap-local-set and keymap-global-set became less strict
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 10:55:20 +0100

On 2/3/23 10:56, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I don't know enough about that code to follow the argument here.
> Could someone tell me what the Compat library does?
> Is it in Emacs -- if so, what is the file name?

Compat is not part of the Emacs code base. It is instead distributed via
GNU ELPA. It is an Elisp compatibility library, which allows packages to
use functions and macros introduced in newer versions of Emacs, while
staying backward compatible. For example, the function
`keymap-local-set' will be introduced as part of Emacs 29.1.
Correspondingly, Compat 29.1 provides this function too. A package
targeting Emacs 24.4 and newer can then depend on Compat 29.1 and use
`keymap-local-set'.

See the GNU ELPA Compat page https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/compat.html
and the manual linked there for more details.

Daniel