Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 09:55:46 +0200

> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org,
>   larsi@gnus.org,  rlb@defaultvalue.org
> Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 22:18:32 -0700

> >> Why? in the Debian use case all they care about is that the file is
> >> not written to HOME, and my proposal doesn't break that.
> >
> > AFAIK your proposal breaks some uses of advice.
> >
> >> The trampoline isn't needed in their scenario, so there's no reason to
> >> generate it.
> >
> > I don't know if they need trampolines, but I wouldn't be surprised if
> > they do on occasion.
>
> Some of our addon package test suites use advice in ways that mean we
> need the trampolines.

Thanks, but if this should be taken into consideration for the
purposes of this discussion and the decision to be made as result, we
need all the details you can provide about these uses.  So:

  . what kind of advice are those and which functions they advise?
  . where and under what circumstances will those advised functions be
    called, as part of your preparation of the packages?  (if the
    advised functions are only called when the end-user uses the
    package, that is not relevant to the present discussion)
  . what bad things will happen if the advice will not work (details, please)?
  . if we provide a way to specify, via comp-enable-subr-trampolines,
    the directory to which the trampolines will be written, will that
    satisfy your uses? if not, why not (details, please)?
  . why cannot you use native-comp-eln-load-path to force the
    trampolines go to a directory of your choice?
  . any other pertinent details you can provide

TIA