Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 22:42:02 +0100

>> [Simpler than `package', which needs additional babysitting with
>> `(package-refresh-contents)'.  Perfect!]
>
> That should not be necessary with `package-install` either.
> If you still find it necessary, please report it as a bug (and put me
> in the `X-Debbugs-Cc`).

TIL!  It works without any babysitting.

I simplified ...

(add-hook
 'after-init-hook
 (lambda ()
   (require 'package)
   (unless (seq-every-p #'package-installed-p package-selected-packages)
     (package-refresh-contents)
     (package-install-selected-packages t)))
 -99)

... to ...

(add-hook 'after-init-hook
          (lambda () package-install-selected-packages t)
          -99)

... and my Emacs configuration bootstrapped without any problems.

That said, the VC command still wins, for does not need the lambda. :)

Perhaps we should default the `noconfirm' parameter to `t' when the user
uses the command non-interactively?  While on it, we could also rename
it to `no-confirm' to make the spellchecker, and thus the reader,
happier.  :)

Either way, thank you for letting me know!

Rudy
--
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice."
-- Henry Ford; Francis Kinloch, 1819; Henry David Thoreau, 1854

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia