Re: feature/package-vc has been merged

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: feature/package-vc has been merged
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 07:01:31 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Philip,
>
> I pulled the latest commits and tried to install `modus-themes',
> `vterm', `mentor', and `orderless'.  Everything worked like magic.
>
> In each case, I simply added the `vc' prefix and a pair of parentheses
> in `-vc-selected-packages'.  I then restarted Emacs and everything
> always installed and worked flawlessly.  The `vterm' package also
> compiled its C library without any problems.  Magic!
>
> Old:
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'package
>   (add-to-list 'package-vc-selected-packages 'modus-themes))
>
> New:
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'package-vc
>   (add-to-list 'package-vc-selected-packages '(modus-themes)))
>
> Then:
>
> (add-hook 'after-init-hook
>           #'package-vc-install-selected-packages
>           -99)
>
> [Simpler than `package', which needs additional babysitting with
> `(package-refresh-contents)'.  Perfect!]

I'm very happy to hear this!

> That said, When I updated my config to install from VC, I noticed that
> `elpa' in `.emacs.d' now contained two versions of the packages, one
> from `package' and one from `package-vc'.
>
> I executed `package-autoremove', but it made me wonder if having two
> versions, even if temporarily, will cause problems for the people
> upgrading from `package' to `package-vc'.

This seems like an issue of what perspective one takes.  I don't see
package-vc as an "upgrade" over package, but as an alternative backend
for fetching source code.  Not even I plan to use it for everything,
rather I'd install a source package when I am hacking on some package,
and when I have sent out the patches and am done with it, I'd remove the
source package and be left with the previous installation.

Removing the regular package would lead to too much confusion in this
case.

Perhaps this should be documented?

> As a side note, you mentioned that `package-install' works for both
> "normal" and VC packages?  I guess `package-autoremove' does that too?
> I looked at the documentation for both and they mention just
> `package-selected-packages'.

I don't think I said "package-install works for both normal and VC
packages"?  package-install fetches a tarball, package-vc-install
fetches a repository?

> And speaking of `-autoremove', should we also add `-vc-autoremove'?

I don't think so, because -autoremove is for removing non-selected
packages, while all source packages are selected (you'll find that
package-vc uses regular tarball packages if dependencies have to be
installed).

> For the only problem I have, I could not install `geiser'.  I got
> "user-error: Package has no VC data", and I kept wondering what the user
> should do in this situation.  I had no idea where to look.

That sounds wrong, there seems to be a specification in
elpa-packages.eld:

  ("geiser" :url "https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser.git"; :lisp-dir
  "elisp" :readme "readme.org" :doc "doc/geiser.texi")

Maybe this is related to MELPA?  They don't have package specification
lists yet, and if their package is prioritised (due to their versioning
scheme), maybe this could confused package-vc?

> I will try more packages in the coming days or weeks!

Very appreciative.  But this is a good sign that after bug#59109 has
been resolved, the changes can be applied back onto master.

> P.S. The documentation for the `package-vc-selected-packages' variable
> contains a typo "... you cal also use ...".

Will fix, thanks!