scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe canʼt display emojis

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe canʼt display emojis
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 09:22:53 +0100

I have a terminal emulator that can display emojis correctly.

C-x 8 RET 1f606

works fine.

(this is on GNU/Linux)

emacs -Q -nw
 C-x 8 e i ;; emoji-insert
 s         ;; emoji--command-Emoji > Smileys
 s         ;; emoji--command-Emoji > Smileys > smiling

Without '-nw', this shows large smileys, but with -nw it shows
nothing, and I then appear to be stuck in the transient until I
C-g. Hitting 'e' gives me:

Unbound suffix: ‘e’ (Use ‘C-g’ to abort, ‘?’ for help) [self-insert-command]

On macos, in gui frames, I see similar issues until I cherry-pick
e3171e7e86, which says to me thereʼs an issue with the 'can I display
this codepoint' code.

Robert