Re: scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe canʼt display emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe canʼt display emojis
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 13:57:08 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 09:22:53 +0100
>
> I have a terminal emulator that can display emojis correctly.

Which one?

Does it behave correctly wrt the display width of the displayed Emoji?
That is, does string-width agree with the number of columns the
displayed Emoji takes on the screen?

> On macos, in gui frames, I see similar issues until I cherry-pick
> e3171e7e86, which says to me thereʼs an issue with the 'can I display
> this codepoint' code.

Indeed, how can we know that a particular TTY frame can display Emoji?
For a single character, we have a more-or-less reliable method, but
for a composable sequence?