Re: scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe can始t display emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe can始t display emojis
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 17:05:35 +0100

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Lars> I think it's perhaps best to wait until this has landed on
>     Lars> the trunk to
>     Lars> debug it...

Since it's now on the trunk, I've now had a look.  There seems to be
problems in general with emojis in Emacs on the terminal.

1) The string widths seem to be off (1 instead of 2), as Robert said
earlier.  So:

PNG image

The width calculations are totally off.

2) We don't know whether a grapheme cluster displays or not.  So we get
things like:

PNG image

for the ones that don't combine in the terminal.  But some do combine in
the terminal, but then Emacs doesn't know that, so:

PNG image

The cursor is in "the middle" of the cluster, covering the last half.

I'm surprised that emojis work as well as they do on the terminal.  馃檧
But it seems that there's some work to be done on the display side if we
want this to be more...  consistent...