Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a simple solution
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:09:43 +0100

On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 07:23:08PM -0700, Daniel Brooks wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Daniel Brooks <db48x@db48x.net>

FWIW, I'm somewhat shocked by the tone you are taking. You disagree
with Eli, that's fine, but:

[...]

> No other suggested feature will be useful to me. This one will. I
> suggest to you that you do not know what all users want.

So far, so good. Emacs is extensible for a reason. If it doesn't suit
you, you can always extend it.

What you can request from a maintainer is that (s)he makes your task
easier, by providing the necessary knobs and levers.

[...]

> Now I think you are being deliberately insulting. I conclude that your
> only purpose in this conversation was to troll people or to say no to
> any solution you didn’t think of yourself.

But this, for my taste, at least, goes definitely too far. I think
Eli knows much more about Emacs and bidi than most of the people
around here taken together. He may be wrong on whatever thing (we
all are sometimes), and convincing him is sometimes hard work, but
accusing him of trolling is Just Wrong. IMO.

Cheers
 - t