Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 Windows Binaries -- testing wanted
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 22:15:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 08:16:41PM +0100, phillip.lord@russet.org.uk wrote:
> On 2020-08-18 18:20, phillip.lord@russet.org.uk wrote:
> As a starter for 10, this is a file that tests features. The idea would be
> to include it in the main (not test) lisp hierarchy, probably with a single
> autoloaded command "feature-test" or something which would run ert with an
> appropriate selector. This would make it available for use in any Emacs
> distribution without having to include any files only found in the repo.

Feel free to ignore me, but I feel it may be more widely useful to
provide a list of all features and mark whether they're available or
not rather than run a test that reports unavailable features as
errors.

Something like this, but better:

(defun insert-feature (description test)
  (indent-to 2)
  (insert (if test "✔" "✖"))
  (indent-to 5)
  (insert description)
  (insert "\n"))

(defun list-features ()
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*Available Features*"))
  (erase-buffer)

  (insert-feature "JSON" (progn (require 'json) (fboundp 'json-serialize)))
  (insert-feature "GNUTLS" (gnutls-available-p))
  (insert-feature "pbm" (image-type-available-p 'pbm))
  (insert-feature "xpm" (image-type-available-p 'xpm))
  (insert-feature "bmp" (image-type-available-p 'bmp))
  (insert-feature "gif" (image-type-available-p 'gif))
  (insert-feature "png" (image-type-available-p 'png))
  (insert-feature "xpm" (image-type-available-p 'xpm))
  (insert-feature "jpeg" (image-type-available-p 'jpeg))
  (insert-feature "tiff" (image-type-available-p 'tiff))
  (insert-feature "svg" (image-type-available-p 'svg))
  (insert-feature "native images" (image-type-available-p 'native-image)))

Unless of course the idea is to automate it, I suppose, in which case
this will be of no use...
--
Alan Third