RE: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 20:41:23 -0700 (PDT)

>> This seems like a reasonable solution to me. Alternatively perhaps
>> we just need to sell C-x C-f as "open a file or directory" rather
>> than "find a file"?
>
> That would make our initial explanations more complex, and that might
> lead to more confusion than clarity.

I disagree.  It's clearer to state, when it's the case,
that a given operation acts on a file or a dir, or on
files and dirs.

We do that pretty consistently in Dired and some other
areas of Emacs.  We should do it wherever it makes
sense, and it makes sense wherever someone might not
understand that the operation applies to either/both.