Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 05:42:41 -0700

ndame <address@hidden> writes:

> If by chance you know somebody who is qualified and could be
> interested in the job then please let him or her know about this
> possibility. Provided you think a full time developer could help Emacs
> development.  The core developers are in a better position to judge
> this.

Maybe this is starting in the wrong end.

There is some serious work required to even get something like this
going.  Perhaps one should look for a candidate to do that work first.

Not that I have any clout to say much about anything, but here's what I
think:

Whoever is prepared to organize this will work on a volunteer basis.
This would be a task of great responsibility, so it has to be a
trustworthy person, possibly already on emacs-devel or prepared to
establish and maintain that communication.

Such a volunteer would start with writing up a serious proposal for how
to organize it.  This should involve some specifics about financing (at
least: how to collect donations), recruitment of candidates,
advertising, deliverables, time-frame, etc.  Probably many other things.

Next, you would need to be able to work patiently in discussion to
convince emacs-devel, Eli, RMS and others that this is a good idea.
Part of that work is convincing people that you are the candidate to see
this through.  Maybe the FSF needs to be discussed with and convinced
too.

And, finally, the correct candidate for that work would be prepared to
accept that, even having invested the above time, maybe it's not
feasible to get all the moving parts working together to realize this.

If someone is interested in doing that work, maybe this has a chance.
I don't see that it's a hard task, just one that would take some time,
dedication and organizing.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

PS. BTW, is there any reason Emacs is not already part of GSOC?